India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Republic Of India > True value of ROI proof sets

Brainiac
Limited Member

Hi all,

I'm in Mumbai.  Was wondering about the best way to figure out the true value of various proof sets etc issued by RBI.  The period of issue I'm interested in is late 70's - early 90's, especially the 80's.

Also, going a bit off topic here, would like to know the same about US Mint issued proof sets from the 90's.

Would be grateful for any info.

Cheers,

Ravi

July 5, 2010 at 8:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Ravi, if you are looking for price guides, then you should buy the 'Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins'. It list the issue price and market value of coin sets issued by every country in the world. The price mentioned are not accurate and sometimes ridiculous but still it serves as a good price guide on most occassion.

For US coins I recommend 'US Coin Red Book'

Hope it helps :)

--
"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can
spend all the money in the world and still have some left over" 
July 6, 2010 at 6:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brainiac
Limited Member

Thanks very much for the info, Rony.  Just one more question.  Once I have an idea of the value, what would be the best kind of place to sell these locally. 

July 15, 2010 at 6:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

If you ask me, I use the Ebay as my price guide because catalog values are academic and I also feel that its the best place to sell your numismatic stuff. The strategy is to sell it for a few Rupees less than the lowest price on offer.

--
July 15, 2010 at 7:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brainiac
Limited Member

Really appreciate the quick reply.  Thanks very much.

July 15, 2010 at 7:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Anytime Ravi :)

--
July 15, 2010 at 8:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vivek
Limited Member

Hello

While searching on internet I found some information...please refer to link http://www.sagarnotebhandar.com/services/

and click on "Click Here".. you get current prices for all coins...

..Dear moderator

I am new to this site...please delete this post if you feel it’s already a known information or violating any policies.

Vivek

March 15, 2011 at 10:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shobhit Gupta

Very Nice post Mr. Vivek. I was looking for this information from last few months. thanks a lot..

March 16, 2011 at 2:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DrPRBPrasad

Rony Sir,Ebay is a good site but I experienced 2  things- Price of same item fluctuates to 10 times even and  purchaser is helpless.Secondly items sent by speed post /courier got tampered in transit and i received empty enelope and paisa pay resolution was of no help and i had to bear total loss on many occasions .Ats a result I had stopped purchasing on ebay.I donot know why the seller is not willing to send the item by Insured speed post.Any one dealing with Ebay, pl insist on Insured speed post only otherwise donot pay and never beleive the long claim of paisa pay- the same is of no help in case your item is stolen in transit.

I will advise that take minimum price of ebay on 2-3 occasions.As payment by Credit card etc fetch 8-10 %  discount on this amout and still seller & ebay gets profit I think  a further discount of 10-15% will be the fairprice of the item.Try to get the same around this price in local market and this is fair and delivery is assured.Alternately get contact no of seller of ebay ,negotiate the price around this and request/insists on Insured speed post even for Rs 100/- only.The price finally depends upon urgency of seller /purchaser and their paying capacity.

I too have fake B I coins =1 Re of Edward & George VI of brass.What I feel they used to make fake coins locally of inferior metal and provide a thin coating of silver by electroplating which vanished after few circulation and finally was left with original copper or brass metal. 

November 20, 2012 at 8:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DrPRBPrasad

Further to my earlir submission,I would like to add that recently I was in Mumbai & attended coin exibition by sagarnotebhandar.My experience is that prices were negotiable. Some collectors were there & offered some items to sell but the stall keeper offered very low price-eg Rs 150 for VF Rs 100/- note of Diamond Variety of P C Bhatt/ L K Jha and Rs 120 for White strip Rs 100/- note.Their own catelogue price is just  the price on which they want to sell.They never purchase around that.Another gentleman came with 8-10 coins including Rs 10/- of Gandhi(1969) and asked sagarnotebhundar people for valuation.He offered Rs 1500/- for entire lot.From my minimum estimate it must be between Rs 2500-3000/-.The customer took the lot & went out.I followed him and asked what is his expectation as I could have purchased them.But he refused to sell them and went back.So my conclsion is that these sites quote price which are defnitely higher and one must explore them thoroughly.In this exibhition itself there were 3 main stalls and 2 Annas silver coins were available with them @ price of Rs 300,400,600 respectively-vaiation of double under the same roof!

November 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

drjay
Limited Member

thanks DRPRBPRASAD for ur informative article. Infact i have received  an empty envolope once. 

--

November 21, 2012 at 3:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.