India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Mules and Varieties > Mule varieties in 2 Rupees Unity In Diversity 2005 & 2007 coins

Balakrushna Kar
Limited Member

In 2005, the RBI introduced a new two rupees coin. Its reverse shows a "double plus" symbol with four dots on each quadrant. This coin was minted in the years 2005, 2006 and 2007. We find mule varieties in the 2005 and 2007 issue of Kolkata mint.

This 2 Rupees “Unity In Diversity” coin is found with 2 Obverse Die varieties.

Obverse Die – I (Smaller 2)

In this variety the value "2" measures 9mm in height and smaller in size. The “date” is displayed in bigger numerals. This is found on all the 2 Rupees coins issued from all mints during 2005, 2006 and also on issues of Hyderabad mint in 2007.

Obverse Die –II (Bigger 2)

In this variety the value "2" measures 10mm in height and bigger in size. The “date” is displayed in smaller numerals. This is found on the 2 Rupees coins issued by Kolkata mint during 2007.

This 2 Rupees “Unity In Diversity” coin is found with 2 Reverse Die varieties.

Reverse Die – I (Smaller Cross)

In this variety the "double plus" symbol measures 18mm in length. This is found on all the 2 Rupees coins issued from all mints during 2005, 2006 and on issues of Hyderabad mint in 2007.

Reverse Die – II (Bigger Cross)

In this variety the "double plus" symbol measures 20mm in length. This is found on all the 2 Rupees coins issued by Kolkata mint during 2007.

The Normal coin of 2005: It is with Obverse: Die-I (Smaller 2) and Reverse: Die-I (Smaller cross)

What is a MULE coin: When a coin is minted with the Obverse die of one coin and the reverse die of another coin, it is called a MULE coin.

The Mule coin of 2005:

The below coin minted by Kolkata mint has obverse of 2005 (Obv Die -I (Smaller 2))

paired with the reverse of 2007 (Rev Die – II (Bigger Cross)).

The Normal coin of 2007: It is with Obverse: Die-II (Bigger 2) Reverse: Die-II (Bigger cross)

The Mule coin of 2007:

The above coin minted by Kolkata mint has obverse of 2007 (Obv Die -II (Bigger 2))

paired with the reverse of 2005 (Rev Die – I (Smaller Cross)).

August 19, 2010 at 7:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

DrPRBPrasad

Thanks for clarifying the difference in nice way

January 13, 2012 at 9:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.