India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Coin Chat > Need Information?

Kowshik

Where to find list of coins issued by Kolkata and Mumbai Mints incl Private issue like NSCB? (Need addl Info than in Mint Sites igmint.org/ mumbaimint.in)

Number of coins minted in each set?

VVIP, VIP, Proof, UNC

Rate of each set at the time of Issue?

How coin Dealers get sets quickly than us from Mints?

List of Rare coins in Republic of INDIA  with Reason of Rarity?

September 26, 2010 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

I don't know of any online reference source that has the statistics of Indian mint coin sets.

You can find the issue price of proof and UNC sets in Krause catalogs though.

In unregulated and unorganised coin markets like India, Portugal, South Africa etc. the dealers always gets the sets and coins quicker than the collectors because of the obvious undertable links with mint employees. :D

--
"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can
spend all the money in the world and still have some left over" 
September 27, 2010 at 7:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Yash
Limited Member

Hi Rony,

I was looking at Krause World Coins and saw below data about this coin.

I understand the grades but not sure what the values given below mean.

KM#303 2 rupees

Please help.

Cheers,

Yash

--

>>> My Collection is Here <<<

December 20, 2011 at 4:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Administrator

The values are in US dollars

--

"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can spend all the money in the world and still have some left over"

December 20, 2011 at 8:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

The mint doesn't want to release any official mintage numbers! It is a step back from British times when all of this information was public knowledge.

From what I can understand, I guess it makes it easy for the mint to stay unaccountable behind the veil of national security. With official mintage numbers not released, it becomes very easy for anyone to find the die for the 1971 100 rupees coin and mint some Pieforts whenever they want.

December 20, 2011 at 2:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Administrator

I too don't understand any logic behind veiling mintage figures but atleast Cal mint is giving out mintage figures of NCLTs unlike Bombay mint.

Also I don't think minting coins at will by a few corrupt staffs and taking them home is possible as there are many safegaurds in place at all mints to prevent such activity. The dies are kept in a temerature controlled safe, also bullion sheets for punching out coin blanks need the assay officer's authorization to leave vault. These are high security national mints and accounting for coins must be rigid or else it will be like one mint staff to another: Hey, you don't have any change for cigarette?? Don't worry,  I'll just strike a 5 Rupee coin. :D

--

"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can spend all the money in the world and still have some left over"

December 20, 2011 at 3:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Administrator

BTW Broken Compass, congrats on your 200th post  :)

--

December 20, 2011 at 6:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Yash
Limited Member

Thanks @Kidromeo. :)

Very well said @BrokenCompass. I hope they start sharing mintage and stop restriking the recent coins. 

Cheers,

--

>>> My Collection is Here <<<

December 20, 2011 at 11:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.