India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Republic Of India > Counterfeit 5 Rupees Definitive Coins (km#154.1)

kidromeo
Site Owner

A counterfeit 1994 definitive 5 Rupees coin made up of what appears to be Nickel Brass, found by Sekhar Kausik. These type of precision counterfeits are purpose made to con novice coin collectors as Off Metal Strikes (OMS).

A counterfeit 1999 definitive 5 Rupees coin made up of what appears to be Lead, found by yours truly. An example of crude fake coin.

Next example is of mass produced counterfeits purpose made for circulation. As Sekhar Kausik says,

"During 2005 it had come in the newspapers that certain individuals were caught making counterfeit Five Rupees coins for circulation at a place called Bhiwandi in Haryana. Bhiwandi is a village about 35 to 40 KM from Delhi through Bahadhurgarh.  I managed to get 3 coins from the raiding party. One is of 1994 and the other is of 2002 both attached. Though we with our vast experience are able to make out the fake the common man is innocent.  By the way the coin is magnetic - made of steel."

--
"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can
spend all the money in the world and still have some left over" 
October 7, 2010 at 10:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Balakrushna Kar
Limited Member

Is there security mark on the coin's border?

October 24, 2010 at 8:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Yes, all the above depicted coins have security edges.

--
October 24, 2010 at 9:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Oops I found another one...again :D

--
November 3, 2010 at 12:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Satyaprakash Gorantiwar
Limited Member

Hi All,

I got 2, 5Rs coin of year 2009 minted at HYD. Both has diffrent font for "2009". Is two dia were used or one may be fake. Please let me know if you are aware.

November 11, 2010 at 3:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Atleast I'm not aware. Can you upload pics of both the coins?

--
November 11, 2010 at 10:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ranjit
Limited Member

Yes. I've also came across the 2009 variety where 9 is differently put for these 2 versions. Let me take their snaps and send them out.

I've come across good number of both of these varieties.

December 2, 2010 at 4:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

nalintolia
Limited Member

every die has limited life and once stipulated coins are minted a new die is used to mint the coins and thus you will have 2 to 3 different varieties of the same mint .a good collector has to look for such coins for his collection

December 7, 2010 at 5:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Generally two master dies are produced per mint and from these master dies many working dies are made for coin striking purpose. Major die varieties like small date/big date, big lion/small lion etc. are result of two dissimilar master dies.

--
December 7, 2010 at 11:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

KUNAL CHATTERJEE

Satyaprakash Gorantiwar at November 11, 2010 at 3:48 AM

Hi All,

I got 2, 5Rs coin of year 2009 minted at HYD. Both has diffrent font for "2009". Is two dia were used or one may be fake. Please let me know if you are aware.

Satyaprakash,

Yes, there is a die variety in 5 Rs.- 2009 - H coins : (Normal ' 9 ' & Rounded ' 9 ' ).

March 6, 2011 at 1:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Piyush
Limited Member

Satyaprakash Gorantiwar at November 11, 2010 at 3:48 AM

Hi All,

Hi Satyaprakash

The new bharat Natyam series ( as I am given to understand) has a lot of fonts for the years. Kolkata mint is ahead of all others in the fonts case. the 2005 coins have 5 written in so many fonts from various mints. same for 2009 and I am sure for a few others. The 10 rupee coin has different widths of the outer ring in the 2009 issue. same holds for the 2006 coins and 2007.

your 2009 coins are both originals not fakes. I have them too.

Piyush

July 16, 2011 at 7:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Piyush
Limited Member

Fake 5 rupee coins made of steel ( the cu-Ni design) are found in plenty in sadar Bazar area of Delhi. They generally have rust and can easily be identified. most people know they are fakes but accept them.

--

Piyush Chandra

[email protected]

July 16, 2011 at 7:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

DrPRBPrasad

Pl uplaod picture sothat difference can be seen and appreciated.

November 9, 2012 at 11:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Albert Davidson
Limited Member

A detailed informations about the real coins should be collected, provided, and published in the forum. The pictures of the counterfeit coin should remaim uploaded forever. This will be an effective check against those fake coins. All the member can enjoy the benifit.

--

ALBERTFIZZDAVIDSON

November 13, 2012 at 1:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.