India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > British India > Edward VIII Fantasy Crown

kidromeo
Site Owner

Edward VIII was King for only 10 months in 1936 and none of his coins were issued for circulation.In 1960s, a dealer named Richard Lobel of Coincraft, London bought the original dies and minted a crown sized piece of what Edward VIII’s coinage might have looked like, had he not abdicated.

On the obverse is the uncrowned bust of the King and on the reverse an Indian tiger. Each of these privately issued fantasy crowns are 38 mm in diameter.

--
"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can
spend all the money in the world and still have some left over" 
October 27, 2010 at 7:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BCNumismatics
Limited Member

Rony,

Geoffrey Hearn was striking these back in the 1950's,whereas,Richard Lobel was striking them back in the 1980's.

I turn my nose up at these.

Aidan.

--

Aidan Work.

Check out my numismatic photos at , http://www.banknotebank.com/collection/BCNumismatics/ , http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/BCNumismatics/ & http://worldnumismaticphotogallery.net/u2-bcnumismatics.html  .

Please let me know what you think.

November 3, 2010 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

I have read an article that Lobel bought dies from Franklin Mint to strike Edward VIII's fantasy crown coins for Ceylon in 80s but I can't find any reference for the Indian version. Most likely these were struck in 80s rather than 60s

Although I'm very much willing to add these to my psudo coin collection but sadly these fantasy coins don't come cheap :(

--
November 3, 2010 at 11:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

I actually emailed Richard Lobel about these coins, but he never responded to my email :P

June 22, 2011 at 11:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Richard Lobel is a member of this site and I PMed him with hope that he can put some light to this topic but he never replied back :/

--
June 23, 2011 at 6:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Harry
Limited Member

I found a nice article of Edward VIII Indian coins with pictures, I'm sure many memebers may have read this in the past but here is the link http://worldcoininfo.blogspot.com/2008/06/kings-on-coins-king-edward-viii-great.html .  I have the East African Edward VIII coin in my collection, from what I know its quite common, however what I found interesting in this article is the Kutch and Jodhpur coins of Edward VIII where were not fantasy coins.

December 6, 2011 at 9:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Abhishek
Limited Member

kidromeo at November 3, 2010 at 11:20 PM

I have read an article that Lobel bought dies from Franklin Mint to strike Edward VIII's fantasy crown coins for Ceylon in 80s but I can't find any reference for the Indian version. Most likely these were struck in 80s rather than 60s

Although I'm very much willing to add these to my psudo coin collection but sadly these fantasy coins don't come cheap :(

recently i got this... in original packing.. .dont know if its silver ? What do u guys think??

October 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Abhishek
Limited Member

paid close to 2000 INR..

October 13, 2013 at 4:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Good buy although I wouldn't have paid that much for it. That being said, the silver proof version which has mintage around 200 sold recently for $94.

--
October 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Richard Lobel
Limited Member

Hello!

My name is Richard Lobel from London England, and I have just read a lot of wrong information about the Edward VIII India piece. Please allow me to correct the errors. Hearn struck five different pieces in 1955 Great Britain, New Zealand, Australia, Ceylon and Bermuda. He struck them in silver and gold, I have been told that some were struck in platinum, but I have never seen them. I do know that some were struck in copper, but that was just to test the dies.

A client bought all five from me and had Pobjoy make new dies with both the head facing left and right. The British Government stopped them.

I issued 24 different, including the 5 that Hearn made. I did not buy any dies but created new ones myself. They were struck in crownsize Silver, Silver Piedfort, Copper, Bronze and cupro-nickel. I used the Tower Mint, but had to stop as they were using my dies without my authority. I also struck sovereign sized pieces in 9ct gold and silver. I struck crownsized pieces for a client in 22ct gold and some in 9ct gold.

At one time I owned the Indian pattern dollars of King George VI and many Indian proof gold coins, plus a unique presentation case.

If you need any more information please just ask, better to get it right than wrong

Richard

--
September 14, 2016 at 11:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.