India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Mules and Varieties > 2 Rupees Sardar Patel Coin Varieties

Ranjit
Limited Member

Hi Rony,

I came across following posting that mentions Sardar Patel 2 Rupees coin as one of the rare ones:

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=42803

In Krause, there are different varieties of 2 rupees Sardar Patel coin but I relly failed to understand differences between those varieties. Do you have any specific pointers on which variety of Sardar Patel coin is rare and how to recognize it. It will help me not to ignore this rare variety if I come across one :D 

December 6, 2010 at 3:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Hello Ranjit,

Sadly the only way to classify 2 Rupees varieties Type C,D & E possible if you are lucky enough to come across a coin from circulation that has minimum obverse wear.

The variety of Patel's coin that in my opinion is the second rarest coin is Type E, which is actually a damaged die. I'm sure since you have Krause catalog no further explaining of this type is required.

--
"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can
spend all the money in the world and still have some left over" 
December 6, 2010 at 6:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ranjit
Limited Member

Well,  honestly, I couldn't really make much out of Krause description of various varieties from A to E. Ashoka column size of different varition is ok but 2 whiskers and 3 fur rows, I couldn't really distinguish. If you have these varieties and good understanding on where to look what to understand these varieties, images with pointer suggestions marked on those images would help novice like me.

Also, damaged die was difficult to locate on the coin where to look for impact of damaged die.

December 8, 2010 at 3:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

KUNAL CHATTERJEE

Sardar Ballavbhai Patel variations - I don't know about this. would you mind to describe ? Thanks in anticipation.

December 8, 2010 at 8:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

@Ranjit Well this calls for a visual comparison guide which I will try to come up with shortly for 2 Rupees obverse varieties. For now I can tell you the obvious signs that can help in distinguishing the types.

There are 3 major types; Type A (Long and fat lion), Type B (Fat lion), Type C (similar D,E) (Small lion). The easiest way to distinguish the 3 types is to practice with National Integration coins which are abundant in circulation.

The telltale signs of type A are the lions ears touching (almost) the rim of the coin. Type B is just a fat lion (compared to C,D,E) whose ears doesn't touch the coin's rim.

Type C coin's central lion have a cleavage starting from beard continuing upto mid-section. The cleavage line is even visible in medium circulated examples. Type D lion is normal lion with no cleavage and Type E right lion's fur is smooth whereas the left lion has vertical fur lines (like other types) .

I haven't seen a km# 129.6 to give you a precise definition of the die damage but as far as I know; right side bottom of the Ashok Capital has major die damage.

--
December 8, 2010 at 3:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

@Kunal There are 6 varieties of Patel's 2 Rupees coin according to Krause catalog.

KM# 129.1 Type A (15mm Ashok Capital)

KM# 129.2 Type B (14mm Ashok Capital)

KM# 129.3 Type C (13mm Ashok Capital)

KM# 129.4 Type D (13mm Ashok Capital)

KM# 129.5 Type E (13mm Ashok Capital)

KM# 129.6 Type E (13mm Ashok Capital) Damaged Die

You can find layman's definition of the types in my previous post. For detailed description, you have to see the catalog.

--
December 8, 2010 at 3:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Ranjit at December 8, 2010 at 3:10 AM

Well,  honestly, I couldn't really make much out of Krause description of various varieties from A to E. Ashoka column size of different varition is ok but 2 whiskers and 3 fur rows, I couldn't really distinguish. If you have these varieties and good understanding on where to look what to understand these varieties, images with pointer suggestions marked on those images would help novice like me.

Also, damaged die was difficult to locate on the coin where to look for impact of damaged die.

Put up a new thread here with the pics of the different types as I promised 8)

--
February 13, 2011 at 9:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SEKHAR KAUSIK

Vallabhai Patel : Type "E" with damaged die.     

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=449018008471514&set=a.322744214432228.75487.255624607810856&type=3&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=449017961804852&set=a.322744214432228.75487.255624607810856&type=3&permPage=1

August 10, 2012 at 7:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.