India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > British India > Please help identify a 1943 copper half rupee of George 6

kikbik
Limited Member

Experts please help me identify and classify this 1943 half rupee of George 6 in copper. As i am new to this hobby and i have a very limited knowledge as of now i am not able to evaluate this coin.

I have read that all rupee, half rupee and 1/4 rupee coins during 1940-1945 time period were of half silver content but this coin is in copper, is it a fake coin or a forged one?

http://img34.imageshack.us/f/scan0009xx.jpg/

http://img337.imageshack.us/i/scan0008t.jpg/

January 15, 2011 at 1:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shobhit Gupta

Its a fake coin.. Look at the spelling of "EMPEROR".. It is written as "EMPERON".. So It clearly depicts that it is a fake coin.. :)

January 15, 2011 at 11:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kikbik
Limited Member

Thank you for reply Shobhit. Actualy its R not N at the end, watch it carefully again. I can see on real coin that there are no spell mistakes, may be coin condition is not fine due to rust, any idea how to clean that rust?

Also the coin looks to be old in condition so how and why somebody forged these coins in those old times, i think that story should be interesting to know.

January 15, 2011 at 12:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

I agree with shobhit's opinion too. It's a crude cast fake.

--
"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can
spend all the money in the world and still have some left over" 
January 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kikbik
Limited Member

^^ Thank you Rony sir for the reply. But does this coin has any market value??

January 15, 2011 at 12:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Arish
Limited Member

market value of the original coin is around Rs 2500 :)

January 15, 2011 at 12:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Collectors of counterfeit coins would be interested in it. I'll say it's worth about 50 bucks at max as it's in poor grade.

--
January 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

For copper disease like verdigris, special verdigris removing solutions can be bought from abroad. For home remedies, look here

--
January 15, 2011 at 1:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kikbik
Limited Member

Thanks to all for reply, i will try to clean it as advised by the admin.

January 16, 2011 at 5:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kikbik
Limited Member

Arish at January 15, 2011 at 12:48 PM

market value of the original coin is around Rs 2500 :)

Thanks for reply Arish, rs2500 for 1/2 rupee then i am not lucky enough yet to find original 1943 half rupee silver but i got two coins of 1rs of 1941 and one coin rs1 1944(Lahore mint). Are these of the same value as a 1/2 rupee of same period?

Does 1944 rupees of lahore mint bear more value than other mints?

EXPERTS Please do reply.

January 16, 2011 at 5:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kikbik
Limited Member

Scan of 1944 lahore mint 1 rupee

January 16, 2011 at 6:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

I'm not an expert in valuation but since no one else replied, in my opinion in VF grade this coin is worth at max 700 bucks. The 'L' mint mark won't fetch any premium. There are two known varieties of this coin, small L and large L but since I haven't seen both I can't make out which one you own. Hope it helps :)

P.S. It's always better to start new topics for different coins to get max viewership to your query.

--
January 17, 2011 at 4:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SEKHAR KAUSIK

Remember after the year 1940, the coins were minted with 50% silver. Hence from the dealer it will be 350 / 400. at sarafas it will be only 150. One advise .: If you are keen on British India coins please visit he sarafas ( silver smith shops. ) . You will get genuine coins at affordable rates.. But you have to be patient to complete your desired series.  You will get your required dated coin immidiately  from your dealer and that is why you pay a premium.

--
January 18, 2011 at 2:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Thanks Kausik for the expert advice :)

--
January 19, 2011 at 12:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kikbik
Limited Member

kidromeo at January 17, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I'm not an expert in valuation but since no one else replied, in my opinion in VF grade this coin is worth at max 700 bucks. The 'L' mint mark won't fetch any premium. There are two known varieties of this coin, small L and large L but since I haven't seen both I can't make out which one you own. Hope it helps :)

P.S. It's always better to start new topics for different coins to get max viewership to your query.

Thankyou Rony sir for your expert opinion. Actualy i didnt deviated the topic delibrately as both the above mentioned coins are of similar ruler and this deviated the topic of discussion.:D 

Anyhow i need your expert advise in my new topic about punch marked coins and please do help me by posting your opinion.:)

http://www.indiacoinnews.com/apps/forums/topics/show/4079821-silver-punch-marked-probably-mauryan-coin-evaluation

January 19, 2011 at 11:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kikbik
Limited Member

SEKHAR KAUSIK at January 18, 2011 at 2:46 AM

Remember after the year 1940, the coins were minted with 50% silver. Hence from the dealer it will be 350 / 400. at sarafas it will be only 150. One advise .: If you are keen on British India coins please visit he sarafas ( silver smith shops. ) . You will get genuine coins at affordable rates.. But you have to be patient to complete your desired series.  You will get your required dated coin immidiately  from your dealer and that is why you pay a premium.

Thankyou very much Sir for your opinion. Yes i mostly try to buy from sarafa bazaar and not from dealers, as i am from a small town there are hardly any dealers of coins here and if i find a dealer or two he/she is not much expensive.

About silver content of B.I. coins yea i already know that after 1940 silver content of coins was reduced to 50% due to rising prices of silver during those days of WW2. But even by calculating the costs of precious metal content of a silver coin it will cost way above Rs-150 per one coin of 1940-1945 of one rupee denomination.

Silver price:Rs 44-45 per gram. average 44.5

Silver content of one rupee 1944 = 11.66/2gm = 5.83gm

price of p.m. = 5.83x44.5= Rs259.435

I think we all know how much clever sarafas are in calculation p.m. price and in noway they will sell a 1944 one rupee at rs150.

yes a half rupee of same period will cost around rs150 only if the sarafa is not aware of the coins market but that seems to be less probable as my experience with them tellz.

P.S. i desperately need expert opinion about punch marked coins in my new topic, please help me out on that topic and i will be very gratefull to all of you.

January 19, 2011 at 11:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

@kikbik I would have loved to help with the punch marked coins but my knowledge and interest is limited to modern Indian coins only.

In case no one replies as majority of the target surfers of ICN are modern Indian coin collectors, you may try posting at www.forumancientcoins.com

--
January 20, 2011 at 8:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kikbik
Limited Member

kidromeo at January 20, 2011 at 8:26 AM

@kikbik I would have loved to help with the punch marked coins but my knowledge and interest is limited to modern Indian coins only.

In case no one replies as majority of the target surfers of ICN are modern Indian coin collectors, you may try posting at www.forumancientcoins.com

Thankyou sir i will definitely post it on that ancient coins forum. BTW i couldnt resist myself buying these punch marked coins at rs 1000/coin. Each coin weigh about 3.3gms. These are very difficult to find so i decided to buy few of these coins at any cost.

Sorry for getting offtopic but actually at the starting of my coin collection i too was interested in modern and British India coins but when i saw punch marked coins i got crazy about these coins and studied about their origin and history.

These silver punch marked coins and bent bars are one of the oldest and rarest coins in world infact they tell the story of the begining of civilisation on not only Indian subcontinent but the entire world. These coins were called karshapans and they were used as a currency between 600BC to 1AD. Possesion of these coins realy make me feel proud as these are the symbols of beginig of our civilisation.

January 20, 2011 at 12:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.