India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Republic Of India > Indian Fake/Fantasy Coins Discussion Thread

Ranjit
Limited Member

Here is new thread to share Indian Republic Fake coins.

While it's pretty common to see loads of British India Fake coins, it's not rare anymore see fake coins in India Republic. There are various ways, fake coins are being made and I hope this thread will help us to learn  better about this stuff.

Let me start with an interesting 1970 1 Rupee coin that I came across recently. I think this is one of the easist forgery that I have came across so far.

This one was being sold at flea market at B'lore and I really couldn't keep by hands off. I got it pretty cheap though initial quotes price was high. Seller sold me it for couple of folks once I told him that it's fake one. I think he wanted to get me out of there asap so that he can sell other fake coins to other innocent buyers :D

Well, this is easy forgery if you look at it. The coin is original and genuine but it's not 1970 1 Rupee.

In simplicity 1976 1 Rupee coins (which is not really rare) and then '6' is scratched to '0' and then coin is little blackened out both sides apperatently trying to give more old coin like authentic look but in reality trying to hide the scratch marks that were made to turn '6' into '0'. Neat huh?

January 16, 2011 at 5:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ranjit
Limited Member

Ok.Didn't rightly upload images. Hope it works this time.

January 16, 2011 at 6:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

I don't agree with the fake title as I believe it's a real coin albeit it's tooled/mutilated to dupe noobs but it's still a legal tender.

BTW nice pickup Ranjit. Dunno what couple of folks amount to but hopefully not much :D

--
"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can
spend all the money in the world and still have some left over" 
January 16, 2011 at 10:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ranjit
Limited Member

I agree with that. "Fake 1970 Coin" is what was in my mind. It's definitely original 1976 1 rupee coin.

Sorry for "sold me for couple of folks" typo. I meant for "couple of bucks" :D

Selling folks is not leagl anymore around here since many years :lol::lol:

January 16, 2011 at 10:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bijeet1982

Dear friends,

I am sorry to say that i do not agree as i have thease coins and they are 100% geniune.I am very confident about that.

regards

Bijeet.

January 27, 2011 at 1:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Not sure what you don't agree with Bijeet. The comments made by me and Ranjit are in respect to the above 1976 coin tooled 1970. Genuine 1970 One Rupee coins are known to exist in moderate quantities.

BTW Nice coins you got there :)

--
January 27, 2011 at 4:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ranjit
Limited Member

@ Bijeet: As Rony clarified, we are very much aware of 1970 being a genuine coin. It's just that the one I've posted above is (original) 1976 coin tampered to fake it as 1970 as 1970 is rare one. I thought my post clearly described that.

And congrates for having this original coin in your collection.

Others: I came across one more variety of genuine 1 Rupee coin of other year being faked to 1970 1 Rupee during my this weekend trip to Belur, Karnataka. In this case, 1979 coin was tampered to 1970. This was looked more genuine than 1976 as '0' that was made out of '9' (in 1979 coin) was positioned at right height than '0' made of '6' (in 1976 coin).

One key difference to note is weight of the coin. 1970 is little heavier (10 gm) than 1976/1979 ( 8 gms).

January 31, 2011 at 1:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bob
Limited Member

Is this 1985 one rupee with backward B mint mark Fake?

http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280623634160

Edit: Formatting Corrected

February 6, 2011 at 5:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Yup, it is.

Never seen any fake with such mint mark before.

--
February 7, 2011 at 7:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ranjit
Limited Member

Interesting. And crazy!

At the same time, I'm impressed with the honesty of the seller. This generally doesn't happen at eBay.

Current bid for this coin is at 5200 Rs and seller has clearly mentioned that it's not a legal tender. I wonder who buy such fake coins at this high premium.

May be not many people read all the stuff before they buy and there is a mad rush to buy any unique item.

February 7, 2011 at 7:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Arish
Limited Member

also Font of denomenation 1 and metal color is different!

February 7, 2011 at 11:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

@Ranjit Honest seller....nah, won't buy that :P

The words any honest seller would have put in the item description is fake/counterfeit. 'Not a legal tender' is not an apt or honest way to describe this coin as genuine demonetized and revalued currencies also fall in this category.

Also I assume not many noob collectors with little English knowledge would understand the difference. Result is a fake coin sold for Rs.6862 :D

--
February 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ranjit
Limited Member

@Rony,

Well, you are fundamentally right on the seller being honest. But you see, when it's compared with more than 90% of the eBay sellers where they would put the fake coin for selling and then not even mention it being a toke, replica or not-legal-tender and in fact they add that "item is 100% geniune and bid with the confidence", I felt this person was "relatively" honest at least to write that this is not a legal tender :)

But as you rightly said again, many noivce collecters might not understand or misinterpret the term "not a legal tender".

I was wondering if there could be a way to prevent such illegal selling on eBay in any way.

February 7, 2011 at 11:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ranjit
Limited Member

@ Arish, good obsrvations. Ashoka Pillar Lion's fur rows are also different. And in general, I don't think 1985 coin was something like this.

February 7, 2011 at 11:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Ranjit, if you check the sellers feedback history, you'll find the fantasy Ram-Sita-Hanuman coins that he sold as EIC gems as well as many fake coins. His fraudulent listings should be reported to Ebay to protect newbie collectors from getting ripped off. Multiple flagging of his listings is the only way to stop this type of illegal sales. Listing title should carry fake/counterfeit declaration.

--
February 9, 2011 at 6:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Found this crude but interesting 50 Rupees fantasy coin while browsing fleabay :D yesterday.  Gotta say that these coin casters have more creative ideas than Indian mint coin designers and how much these coins sell for in Ebay never stops surprising me.

--
February 15, 2011 at 5:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Bhushan Vyawahare shared the following fantasy 1 Rupee coin of Chhatrapati Shivaji in our Facebook page

--
February 22, 2011 at 12:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.