India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > British India > British India Fake Coins Discussion Thread

Ranjit
Limited Member

Here is a thread to share your experiences, knowledge, learnings and may be sometimes frustration of how you got duped :D

I'm still learning British India and looking forward for many experts in this area to help new learners (like me) with your knowledge.

Despite of being new, the huge number of fakes coins that I come across on daily basis is very overwhelming :).

I feel, there might be lot of fake British coins (most of them in silver and may be less in copper relatively) than original coins. There are lot lot more chances that you are looking at a fake British silver coin than seeing an original one unless you are seeing a authentic collecion.

Let me start with a coins that's close to heart. It being the first fake coin that opened my eye when I was a month old into this hobby. And it's coin that had fascinated me most when I started my British India collection. Off course, credit goes to eBay which I was so naive to trust. You can't quite forget the feelings of being fooled, can you? :(

This is 8 Anna coin and off course there are so many evident signs to tell this coins is fake but not having the knowledge, I was blind. The problem is that I still get fooled once in a while (not for such obvious fakes anymore) but may be that's how you learn out of your mistakes :o

Some of the observations indicating this one being fake:

1. If you have seen original 8 anna coin, you can notice the quality of the finish/look and feel. I learnt that that commmon sense is little hard to come by. I've not reached there myself. Most of the details on the portrait are not as fine as they are in the original coin.

2. Beard of George V is little pointed and extended than it should be

3. Elephant on the robe should be facing down but here it's walking up

4. Obvserse and Reverse are not aligned (well alignment could go wrong if it's die rotation error coin but this is additional point if you are suspecting something a fake)

5. Letters on both sides are little thicker than they should be

Additional comments, observations or even corrections to my observations are welcome.

January 16, 2011 at 11:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Interesting observations Ranjit. It looks like a very professionally made fake with the sole purpose of duping collectors. Also lets not forget that the BI 4 and 8 Annas were replaced because of large scale counterfeiting during those days. I suppose all the counterfeit coins of 1919 & 1920 will be cast and not die struck as poverty stricken Indian couldn't have possibly counterfeited coins on screw mills. It'll be interesting to see if anyone has cast fake of this coin.

The elephant going upside reminded me of a similar coin our Facebook page member Ankit Dalal posted a few days ago. Seems like both the coins came from the same private mint.

--
"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can
spend all the money in the world and still have some left over" 
January 17, 2011 at 3:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ranjit
Limited Member

Here is another one from my collection. It's one of the most celebrity coin of British India. 1911, 1 Rupee coin. This is very good example that you can end up in fake coin despite of buying it from a reputed jwellery shop if you don't understand how to know the geniune coin. This is my first silver coin that I bought from pretty well known jweller in Bangalore and I was too careless not to look at well. Off course I bought this almost close to it's face value so losses are not high.

Signs of being fake:

- Yes, you observed it. Thicker/blunt design, thicker letters, details not being finer like what you can see in original coin

- the biggest sign of it being 1911 fake: 1911 1 Rupee should have a pig-resembling elephant on the George V's robe. That's reason it was called as a Pig Rupee. You can clearly see that it's not a pig like elephant but proper elephant like that is seen from 1912 onwards.

- design around the rim is pretty different and lighter than what it should be

- George's portrait features not being sharper

- While handling the coin, you can see this one too shiny and feel the rim edges sharper. Geniune coin will not have sharper edges

Additional observations, comments are most welcome.

January 21, 2011 at 11:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Coincollector
Limited Member

Yes, that is true and soeme times, most of us get such coins. Recently, I came across a coin of King George V silver rupee coin of 1839 (surprisingly ???). Most of the collectors know that he ruled India from 1911 to 1939 (some one may correct me if I am wrong). Such coins look itneresting as they look very nice  with good polish. I also advise the collectors of such coins to be very careful and before acquiring such coins one must be thorough with  the some basic knowledge atleast.

All the best for the collectors.

January 22, 2011 at 12:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ranjit
Limited Member

Well, that was my next posting: 1939, George V coin. It's here :D

It wa's interesting to see this coin and I bought it knowing it's fake for it's novelty reasons.

Snaps are here:

January 22, 2011 at 7:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

I remember seeing the above fantasy issue in more crude form on one of the numismatic forums I frequented long time back. Luckily I saved the image to share.

--
February 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Swathish
Limited Member

Can you tell me whether this coin is original

http://postimg.org/image/xz9xueqgz/

September 3, 2013 at 3:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Looks real

--
September 3, 2013 at 3:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

coincollector17
Limited Member

Hi,

Thanks for all your observation which would really help lot  outside there.

I just brought a  GEORGE V 1919 Eight annas coins from one of the well known auction company in india who are very fame for their genunity.

I saw the elephant in king portait facing up which you referred as a fake one. 

But I don't feel like this people (auctioner) would sell fake coins.

Any comment please let me know.

Regards

April 18, 2014 at 1:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.