India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Coin Chat > New to Numismatics

hriday.shah
Limited Member

Hey, I'm new here on the site as well as relatively new to the world of collecting..

I wanted to start of with my own private collection.

But before I do I just wanted a general idea into what 'UNC' and various other abbrevations stand for.

And there is a special commemorative proof set to be released in april'11 in the mumbai mint( spoke to an employee there, over the phone) what I'd like to know is whether these proof sets have a auction or whether they are sold at a pre-decided price. Any help would be appreciated.!

March 18, 2011 at 4:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Welcome to the ICN Community Hriday :)

Glad to have you with us.

UNC means 'Uncirculated' alternatively known as MS or Mint State . It is one of the many terms used to define a coin's grade of preservation. For details click here.

Also UNC and Proof sets that are sold by the Indian Mints are priced fixed and not auctioned.

--
"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can
spend all the money in the world and still have some left over" 
March 19, 2011 at 11:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

hriday.shah
Limited Member

hey rony thanks for explaining that to me.. What I am starting is my own collection of coins from the country after independence related to commemorative coins.

So in simple terms UNC coins are actually day-to-day coins. and the value which could be fetched from the coin depends on its preservation.? Am i correct in saying that.?

And also if I am getting a 1982 1 rupee coin(big), 1989 jawaharlal nehru 1 rupee, indira gandhi 50 paisa 1985 and a couple of more coins at a price of rs.200 for all. Is it worth it.?

Thank you. :)

March 19, 2011 at 3:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Yes, you are right. UNC coins are circulation standard coins in uncirculated level of preservation.

I don't give purchase related advice but it dosn't sound like a good deal. Also remember that coin values not only depend on grade but also mint mark rarity, coin doctoring etc.

I advice you to purchase Krause Satandard Catalog of World Coins as a price guide.

Cheers :)

--
March 21, 2011 at 6:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

hriday.shah
Limited Member

Okay, thanks a lot Rony. And I'm sorry about the question, I didn't know its off limits.!

March 21, 2011 at 5:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Hey anytime man :)

And your question was not off limit but I spoke for myself as I don't consider myself good at coin valuation  ;)

--
March 22, 2011 at 7:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

hriday.shah
Limited Member

But would you say that the coins I am thinking about purchasing are rare.?

March 22, 2011 at 1:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Of course not.

Also the term 'rare' is loosely used now a days. You can't buy bunch of rare coins for 200 bucks..LOL. A rare coin should at least be worth five figure ;)

The coins you are contemplating buying might be worth a tad bit more depending on their mint marks. To understand the difference of values of coins by their mint marks, you gotta buy the Krause SCWC. Like I say to any beginner, buy the book before the coin :)

--
March 22, 2011 at 3:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AMIT S
Limited Member

Hello Rony...

how to find the current price of past PROOF and UNC sets???
since i am new... i dont have any set yet... and few people have extra sets.. which they mite sell off.. but i dont know what is the best price to buy it :(

so how to judge the best price.

for Example: Homi Bhabha UNC set of 100 and 10 @ 3000/- (is it right price to buy??? )

regards

AMIT

April 8, 2011 at 8:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

The free and best way to estimate value of sets is to check ebay's completed listings. IT gives you an idea how much sets actually sells for and not what the dealers are offering them for.

Check Ebay's help page

--
April 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.