India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Princely States & Regional > Collecting Princely states copper coins in bulk

Ramji
Limited Member

I know that we have lot of princely states in india and most of them did issue copper coins.  When ever i talk to collectors or dealers they only talk about  Gold,Silver and rare coins but no one shows much interest in buying or selling copper coins.  I believe we do have lots of verities of copper coins which can be collected by buying copper coins in bulk.  I invite you all to join this discussion to highlight  pros & cons of collecting copper coins by buying them in bulk.

July 8, 2011 at 2:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

There are beautiful copper coins that were issued by a lot of princely states. I love collecting them! I am not much of a silver/gold person and collect a lot of copper. There are really great coins from Indore, Kutch, Sailana, Bharatpur,Travancore, etc.

Actually Ramji, I would buy copper coins in bulk in a blink only if I knew where I could buy them in bulk :)

I have bought in small qualtities before and have always gotten a good deal. As long as you can afford to pay for bulk, don't mind having duplicates or can find ways to sell the coins you don't want, buying in bulk is a great idea! 

July 8, 2011 at 12:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Harry
Limited Member

Hi Ramji - nice post. I agree with you that copper coins seems ignored by many collectors or dealers, as reflective in their price. I believe that copper coins are perceived as "common" and less glamorous, while I think that they are far more scarcer than the price reflects. Here are some of my pros and cons:

Pros:

1. Widely available at very affordable price.

2. Large varieties make them very interesting to collect.

3. They can be equally as beautiful as their silver counter parts.

4. Since they are not currently very popular it’s a good time to pick out the rare dates and varieties and bargain prices.

5. The hunt for them is thrilling!

Cons:

1. Copper (especially the high grade RED) does not do well in tropical climates, so they need to be encased is special air-tight holders in order to preserve them well. This can be a problem for bulk coins.

When I lived in Singapore, I would buy copper coins from international shows and sometimes mail orders (ebay did not exist back then!). I would enjoy them and kept them stored in the original holders. As it turns out that was not a good idea. I remember I purchased a 1874 1/4 Anna GEM Unc Red copper for a affordable price, a year later the color and shine changed dramatically and there were large black spots all over the coin, I felt really bad. It was not so much the money or coin value that I lost but I remember thinking, “my god, this coin has survived so well for over 100 years and when it came to me I managed to really destroy it in less than a year!”, so I decided not to collect copper ever again. I then moved to the US and bough a few copper coins because I couldn’t resist! However, 10 years later they are still in the same state. I now love collecting copper coins just as broken compass, although I don’t have the GEMs like he does!

I am now going to go through my copper coins and put them in mylar (non-reactive) holders (flips) and some of my GEMS I’ll put them in the air tight holder so that they are well preserved for many more years. I owe it to this hobby!

December 5, 2011 at 10:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

L.viswanathan
Limited Member

why Trivandrum coins are not included in this column.I would like to have copper coins of princely states . where can I buy at a cheaper rate

viswanathan

November 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DrPRBPrasad

IT IS JUST BY CHANCE TO GET BULK OF COINS FROM THE DESCENDENT OF A COIN COLLECTOR OR COIN-CHANGER WHO WANTS TO DISPOSE THEM QUICKLY TO FULFILL THEIR SOME REQUIREMENT.OTHERWISE WE HAVE TO DEPEND ON VARIOUS SELLERS OR COLLECTOR FRIENDS ONLY.IT WILL WILL BE A NICE  EFFORTS IF ALL OF US MAKE A FORUM WHERE WE CAN PUT OUR EXTRA COLLECTION FOR MUTUAL EXCHANGE OR SELL.THIS WILL HELP EACH OTHER IN A NICE WAY AND TRANSACTION WILL BE MORE SECURE, RELIABLE AS WELLAS ECONOMICAL.PLEASE COME FORWARD-ONE & ALL OF US.

November 27, 2012 at 11:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

Dear Dr Prasad. Writing in Caps on the internet means you are screaming at someone. It is always good etiquette not to write entire responses in Caps. Just a kind suggestion.

January 13, 2013 at 12:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.