India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Error Coins > Maharana Pratap Die Rotation Error Coin

प्रशांत जैन

Image Link : http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/21/90/62389021/photos/Pjs-Collection-Coin/170720111451.jpg

Recently I found one Maharana Pratap Mumbai Mint Die rotation Error Coin. It had some 15 degree rotation in the central axis of front and back faces.

Can anyone verify this error or all Maharana Pratap Coins were minted in this way only(i.e. with rotation error)

What could be the value for this coin ?

--

My Blog - http://india-coin.blogspot.com/
◄↕→PJ←↕►

July 17, 2011 at 12:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

प्रशांत जैन

is there no one to help me out ?? :( :( 

--

◄↕→PJ←↕►

July 18, 2011 at 4:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

shrini
Limited Member
Dude dont think the value get increased wen there becomes any error in any coin, mistakes are yet to happen, so stop bothering and keep collecting.
July 18, 2011 at 5:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

@Shrini : You would be surprised to see that there are lot of error collectors out there and a coin with error usually costs more than the actual coin in the same grade as long as it is not a common error. Die Rotation, Die Clash, Double Die, Overdate, etc are commonly collected error coins. 

Here's more..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mint-made_errors

July 18, 2011 at 10:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

@PJ : Here's how you can check the degree of error. If other people who have this coin measure the die rotation the same way, you can compare notes with them. Also the article mentions that great care is taken in US coins manufacture to keep the rotation right. I don't know about Indian coins and how difficult it is to find a die rotation fault. 

(Source : http://coins.about.com/od/errorcoinsdievarieties/ht/find_error_coin.htm.)

Turn the coin over, checking the die rotation - Carefully and systematically turn the coin over from top to bottom (not side-to-side). If the coin was right-side up before turning it over, the reverse should be exactly right-side up as well. The U.S. Mint takes great care to ensure that the die rotation on U.S. coins is correct, so coins which are significantly out of rotation are fairly valuable errors. Get in the habit of checking rotation on every coin you handle. You especially don't want to miss the 180 degree rotation errors, as they are the most valuable of all!

July 18, 2011 at 10:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

प्रशांत जैन

@Shrini : I think Broken Compass gave you your reply.. Error coins are more rare and valuable. :/

@ Broken Compass : Thanks a lot for the information. :) :) :) :)

--

◄↕→PJ←↕►

July 18, 2011 at 11:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

shrini
Limited Member

lol:) idont know about it, but i have some amount of mis print and die shit error coins, i dont collect it for its value, like "pj" or any one does, all i care is to make sure all the coin is in ma collection

July 18, 2011 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

shrini
Limited Member

@PJ : stop collecting the coins for its value, and dont keep on ask wats the value of the coin or wat ever, it isnt gonna gain u any thing, and start searching for the coins thats missing in ur collection, 

July 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

प्रशांत जैन

@shrini : If certain coins got more value obviously you will try to have them if u get a chance to have them.... I don't exclusively search for coins with these errors.. I got one by chance and since i knew they got more value so i kept it in my collection.. and i think there in no harm in knowing what is value of coins i have in my collection...

Just collecting blindly ain't goona work out.. u need to know what's in ur collection....

Also i think u need to learn more about Coin collection as i'm surprised that u never knew that error coins are more valuable.

Also u asked me to try to get coins which are missing in my collection..and i can't get them at proper rates if i don't know their value.

--

◄↕→PJ←↕►

July 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

shrini
Limited Member
@PJ : Ha ha, u r teaching me about coin collection? Thats great, i really dont bother about the value of the coin and am not collecting it blindly like u said, i have almost completed my british india collection and republic india, so never try to teach me,
July 18, 2011 at 1:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ranjit
Limited Member

@Srini, I fundamentally agree with your thought process. I don't worry what's price of my collectible coin but I rather focus on the pleasure of collection including error coins or any other kind of varieties. But it doesn't mean other collectors think or have to think the same way. In many of the coin collectors forum, in recent times, it's unfortunate to see the budding collectors asking first the value of the coin before understanding the coin itself. You can't help it.

@PJ, it's good find. It's die rotation error provide you have followed Broken Compass instructions confirming if the other side is really rotated. Though this is not a very rare error, it's still a good find. Value of the error coins are really debatable. and it mostly depends on the extend of the error. For eg. 15 degree rotation is not that rare compared to 90 degree rotation. And 180 degree rotation would be even rarer and costlier. Assuming the B mint Maharana Pratap regular coin is for say 30 Rs for the above condition, your error coin can get anything from 75 Rs to 150 Rs depending on who is trying to buy. Hope that helps.

July 18, 2011 at 1:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ranjit
Limited Member

@Srini, I fundamentally agree with your thought process. I don't worry what's price of my collectible coin but I rather focus on the pleasure of collection including error coins or any other kind of varieties. But it doesn't mean other collectors think or have to think the same way. In many of the coin collectors forum, in recent times, it's unfortunate to see the budding collectors asking first the value of the coin before understanding the coin itself. You can't help it.

@PJ, it's good find. It's die rotation error provide you have followed Broken Compass instructions confirming if the other side is really rotated. Though this is not a very rare error, it's still a good find. Value of the error coins are really debatable. and it mostly depends on the extend of the error. For eg. 15 degree rotation is not that rare compared to 90 degree rotation. And 180 degree rotation would be even rarer and costlier. Assuming the B mint Maharana Pratap regular coin is for say 30 Rs for the above condition, your error coin can get anything from 75 Rs to 150 Rs depending on who is trying to buy. Hope that helps.

July 18, 2011 at 1:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

प्रशांत जैन

@Ranjit : Thanks for the info.. :)

--

◄↕→PJ←↕►

July 18, 2011 at 1:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

shrini
Limited Member
@Ranjit : i agree to u dude,
July 18, 2011 at 1:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

@Shrini: It's awesome you managed to put together the whole British India set, it is no easy task! You should put pictures of it so everyone on here can droll over it :P

Lot of people collect for many different reasons, their goals are different. Your goal is to complete a whole set of British India coins, mine is to collect the best grade coins from British India, some people I know only collect forgeries, some elongated coins and some collect just for an investment and don't really enjoy coins. They all have doubts and questions .... 

July 18, 2011 at 5:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

shrini
Limited Member
@broken compass : sure dude, i wil upload the pic's soon:-) but i havent completed it fully, still searching for the missing one's:-)
July 19, 2011 at 12:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.