India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > British India > Fake Silver Coins

प्रशांत जैन

I want to know is there any way to find out that a silver coin is genuine and antique ?

I have consulted in many shops and dealers..  and i found out that now a days they are selling newly minted coin which has same level of detail and same purity and other specification as that of british india coins...

So there seem to be no any difference in old and new silver coins..

in such case how can one identify the differnece between such coins ?? :( 

--

My Blog - http://india-coin.blogspot.com/
◄↕→PJ←↕►

July 18, 2011 at 12:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ranjit
Limited Member

@PJ, even though they look same to the first glance, most of the coins are not exactly same. To undestand the difference you would have to study pretty good real coins, it's design, font of the text, features of the portrait and which coins were minted for which ruler in which year. There are some old articles posted by me and some other collectors on Fake British India coins. There are some more links on the internet too. Search for "Fake British India coins" and you'll get it. In summary, fake coins have thicker and uglier designs and real coins have finer details. Most of the fake coins look flashy and newly minted. Most of the real coins look little warn out. If the text on the coin is edgy then it would be newly minted. Originally minted coins that would have thorugh some wear and tear will not have edgy feel.

There are ways to differentiate if the coin in itself is silver or not but that requires again lot of expertise which comes appearently by practice.

July 18, 2011 at 1:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

प्रशांत जैन

@Ranjit : Since british india silver coins are getting sold at hgiher rates much higher than they would cost for minting so now a days many dealers are getting them minted in exactly same way.. same details.. same design , font and mint marks...

This is not what i;m telling on my own... this is what a dealer told this to me himself as he some known person to me....

Also in order to make them look old they are deliberatley made to corrode and get scratch.. and he also showed me how they do it....

And there was no way u can tell any difference in the original and genuine coins.. :(

and i think only carbon dating and other techniques can help out... :P

--

◄↕→PJ←↕►

July 18, 2011 at 1:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

Adding to what Ranjit said, a British Indian Rupee has .34 Oz of silver in it. Which is $16 worth of silver itself. In my opinion it makes no sense for the duplicate coin maker to forge a common date, lesser grade coin and using silver itself. If the person is using a metal that is different from silver, the density should give it up. Measuring with a digital scale and a vernier calipher usually helps. If you intend to buy a higher grade, rare coin, try to buy it graded instead of buying it in the raw.

July 18, 2011 at 5:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

प्रशांत जैन

@Broken Compass : As per Indian Currency one British India Silver Rupee got Rs.550 of Silver and including minting charge with all it cost around Rs.700 each and they get sold at some 1000 plus as per the year and condition. And now a days fake minters are aware of minute details which coin collecters see in the coin before purchasing and since those dealers are getting good cost of those they are taking care of all details , purity of silver , wieght , diameter and security edge of coins.. 

In New Delhi there is one coin market where such coins are sold in open and dealers them selves say its not old... and many dealers buy from that place and sell all over India...

So is there any way or device to check the authenticity of coin ?

Or we have no option other than going for graded coins ? which are much much costlier.. :(

--

◄↕→PJ←↕►

July 18, 2011 at 11:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

Indian government was actually minting coins of any year that western collectors wanted until the 1980's until the practice was stopped. Unlike other mints, where the die is destroyed after it is used, our government kept all the dies from the British era. And with no transparency and corruption there is no guarantee that these die are still being used to mint coins somewhere. As a die gets old, it gets worn out and you may notice the hairlines on some coins that are caused by very old dies. There is no device that can find a coin that is newly minted using the old die until you send it in for advanced research like metalurgical analysis. I have been told even TPG's can't figure out these coins and can't tell the difference without a much detailed study or understanding.

Another way coins are forged is by transferring a coins details to a new die which is never perfect and the new coin that is produced using it wont have all the details present in the original coin. There are easy to spot as you have an eye for detail.  

July 19, 2011 at 1:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

@PJ : Do post pictures of coins that you buy. Pictures always help and speak a million words!

July 19, 2011 at 2:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

प्रशांत जैन

@BC :  here a FB link where one person have posted couple of pics of fake siler coins.. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.196624767055121.65493.149206741796924

--

◄↕→PJ←↕►

August 11, 2011 at 7:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Dang....these pesky fakes are getting better by each day :(

--
"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can
spend all the money in the world and still have some left over" 
August 12, 2011 at 3:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Harry
Limited Member

Wow, PJ thanks for posting the FB link. I agree with Rony these are pretty good fakes ! We need to be very careful. I read that a lot of fakes are coming from China and Thailand but I can't recall where I read that, so it could just be a rumor.  Also to broken compass's point when purchasing an expensive coins its better to buy them graded, however, the bulk 99% of Indian coins traded are raw so we just need to be careful.

December 6, 2011 at 10:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.