India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > British India > Pics of your rupees

broken compass
Limited Member

It would be cool if everyone posted pictures of their rupees. I will start with my best rupee so far. 

July 19, 2011 at 2:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Harry
Limited Member

Here is the best rupee of British India in my collection. I got this 15 years ago. I'm not sure what that bump is on the neck below the ear on the obverse of the coin. Its an odd shaped blob of metal. Can anyone shed some light on this? Mint mark is RS incuse.

December 7, 2011 at 12:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Administrator

@Harry It's a Die Chip error. It occurs when a portion of the die chips out, leaving a raised anomly on the coin's surface.

Anyway very nice and beautiful Rupee coins by you two. I have recently started sorting and digitizing my British Indian coins and have photographed the following three coins so far:

William IIII 1835 1 Rupee

East India Company Issue

KM #450.3 (Rotated Die)

Victoria 1840 1 Rupee

East India Company Issue

KM #457.1

George VI 1940 1 Rupee

Crown Issue

KM #556

--

"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can spend all the money in the world and still have some left over"

December 8, 2011 at 7:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

Nice pics Romeo! What camera do you use for digitizing? 

December 9, 2011 at 6:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Administrator

Thanks BC. I use either my rickety old Samsung or Fuji digicams. The pics are taken at ISO 100 Macro with diffused light from left for the first two pics and from top for the last pic. I'm now experimenting with left-right  combi lighting to get more natural shadows of the devices :)

--

"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can spend all the money in the world and still have some left over"

December 10, 2011 at 6:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Harry
Limited Member

Hi Romeo, thanks for posting your pics and providing information about my 1835 Rupee.  This makes sense. I guess if its a die chip that means there must be other coins like mine out there. 

Also thanks for the info about your camera.  I have been struggling to get good pictures but in genral my shots are not as sharp as I would like them to be.  I found that equally important as the camera is the light source. What do you use for your light source?

December 12, 2011 at 12:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Administrator

That's right unless your coin happens to be the last planchet passing through the mill :D

The pics I get from my cam are not that good but it's the image editing that makes all the difference in sharpness, noise reduction, exposure etc. My diffuser is a multi LED diffused torch which I further diffuse with white napkin.

--

December 13, 2011 at 3:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Harry
Limited Member

Romeo, white napkin? could you elaborate? Do you cover the light source with a white napkin when taking the shot? Maybe I should try that. I've never heard of a diffuser let alone a multi LED diffuser!

December 13, 2011 at 5:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Administrator

Diffuser just mean scattered light source so that the coin's metal surface don't give glary reflection. If you have a fluorescent white light torch, just cover it with a hanky with 2~3 folds and the light would be diffused.

Here is an example of non-diffused ISO 100 Macro shot with my 1944 Rupee :)

George VI 1944 1 Rupee

Crown Issue

KM #557

--

December 13, 2011 at 6:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Harry
Limited Member

Really good shot ! Thanks for sharing, I'll try it.

December 20, 2011 at 9:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Administrator

Best of luck :)

--

December 21, 2011 at 1:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

daddu
Limited Member

diffuser works a lot thanks for sharing experience it save much time great experience

July 28, 2012 at 5:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.