India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > British India > Pricing of British India coins

Bala
Limited Member

I have been collecting coins, Since 20 years from Bangalore.  I have paid 300 - 400 rs for british India coins. since silver price has increased the price has gone to 750 - 800 Rupees. Please dont pay beyond that money and get cheated by the dealers.Now a days, I see lot of fake coins of Brtish India being circulated.

espeacially by the coins sellers itself in order make more profit by this hobby. So I request you people to  be careful while buying the coins and but from genuine dealers that too nominal prices only.In recenet days various  auction sites selling the coins with high prices. Please dont go by the value. It is just a hyped price,  you will get the coins at the nominal price only.

As I see few people saying it is a investment  and will give good returns etc. But the real fact that when you go and sell  the coins they will only take it for the price of silver(If you want you can always check this by testing near by shops or dealers to know how price they will pay it for the coin). So please dont get fooled by paying high prices.

The commerative coins which are rarely realsed on mark of some occassiosn by the goverment has some good value becasue usually dont restrike it, I had come across those coins also faked and sold especially silver coins(which does't have complicated designs and security edges).

If you really wanted to investe and make money please buy gold coin and sell it later on by buying 1 gm or 2gm or 4gms or more denominations depending upon your financial status. Only rare coins (becaus of lower mintage) has some high value. but that also not more than 3 times the value of silver. only greedy delars hype the price and more over if  only few buyers pay little more.

So I request you to be careful while buying and dealing with silver coins of British India. enjoy your hobby with pleasure and passion

Regards

Bala

August 10, 2011 at 7:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

r.krishna murthy

very good Mr.bala..

you have said the correct thing..

we should not pay exhorbident charge for british india silver coins.  Upto Rs.1000/- is OK for the pure silver coins of that age.

August 10, 2011 at 7:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

Unfortunately even proof sets and unc sets are restruck by the Indian mint. I have seen many restrikes.

Well a silver coin is not always a silver coin. The price of the coin would go up drastically depending on the grade of the coin as well as it's year of issue(1921, 1911 are key dates for 1900-1940 rupees). A well circulated coin is not worth anything more than the silver in it but a uncirculated coin is worth X10 times the price of silver. 

August 11, 2011 at 11:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

NS
Limited Member

Hi Bala,

I am British India collector and each coin I paid between Rs 1450 to Rs 2000. Can you please let me where you are getting coins at Rs 850 to Rs 1000/-  Even 8 Annas which I bought at an auction of Todywalla costs me Rs 3000 per coin.

Thanks for the nice information

Regards,

Shekhar

August 20, 2011 at 3:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Harry
Limited Member

I agree with Broken Compass. A coin's value is not always dependent on the metal  i.e. silver or gold. Its condition and rarity will be a huge factor on the price. For example a 1911 1 Rupee in Gem BU condition can sell for Rs 13,500 where as a 1919 1 Rupee in Fine condition will probabily sell a bit over its silver content at Rs 500-800. As the 1911 coins has a lower mintage, also the grade matters. Before you decide to invest in coins I would say "buy the book before you buy the coin", in otherwords do some research, look through books and study the market. Talk to dealers and buyers. Once you get a good sense of the market and are a bit knowledgable you can then enjoy investing in coins.  Having said this, you don't have to be an investor to enjoy our hobby you can enjoy collecting British India coins at your own budget however large or modest it is.

December 5, 2011 at 12:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Yash
Limited Member

The online prices are really confusing.. 

Also fake are a real pain in the wrong place...

--

>>> My Collection is Here <<<

December 13, 2011 at 2:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

Online prices may seem confusing because coins of different grades and different years and different mint marks are all very different and even a small difference could be a matter of the coin selling for a few thousand rupees more. If you already haven't done so, I suggest getting a Krause manual of world coins so you can get more acquainted with grades, years, coin types, mint marks. Also do search online to learn how to grade coins. These two should help you better interpret coin prices online.

December 13, 2011 at 10:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Harry
Limited Member

I agree with broken compass. Krause publication of world coins changed the way I collect. Highly recommended. It may be pricey but well worth it! One word of caution, the prices of Indian coins are not accurate as Indian coins are hot right now and its difficult for publications to keep up. What you can do is use if to relative pricing info acrross grades and across years/verities, so for example you will know that a 1911 Rupee is worth more than a 1919 Rupee of the same grade.

December 13, 2011 at 1:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Yash
Limited Member

Thanks @Harry and @broken compass

--

>>> My Collection is Here <<<

December 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

drjay
Limited Member

where to get  Krause publication of world coins ?

--

January 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

You can buy it almost anywhere. Ebay, Amazon, Krause website, etc. You can buy the digital version as well as the paper version or both. Just google it :)

January 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vishal
Limited Member

Question for all the seniors on the forum. Would you all still feel that the fair prices of the regular Victorian rupee coins are still around 800-900 in 2012? Or there is some appreciation over 2011?

I am asking because wherever I asked, from jewellers to collects to individual sellers from villages, no one is really ready to accept anything below 1300-1500 rupees.

Moreover, people are actually paying close to 1700-1800 rupees for buying these coins on special occassions like Diwali or a wedding in the family, albeit in small numbers only.

Trying to see the true value of these coins as a learner. Thanks all in advance.

March 13, 2012 at 4:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vivek
Limited Member

@drjay

If you are residing in India you can buy the same from flipcart

http://www.flipkart.com/standard-catalog-world-coins-1901-2000-1440215723/p/itmdyhn7mga9tnfg?pid=9781440215728&_l=iHdKiOPr_BD6B_LyeWJCCQ--&_r=4Kn6PU9gC472Swe%20M5XflQ--&ref=8c65660e-f40c-4c96-a4e4-d93acfbd2dc4

I tried all bookstalls but was not able to get the same.

If you are interested in BI coins Pridmore is also good book. But very hard to find.

Vivek

March 13, 2012 at 11:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vishal
Limited Member

Thanks Vivek. I'd check it out.

March 14, 2012 at 5:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

reejuroy

Hi,

All seniors. I am a new coin collector in Noida. I am looking for some gold coins of east india Company Mainly for Bengal Presidency and madras Presidency of Either Shah Alam-2 or Alumgir-2. Also I am looking for 5 rupee or 10 rupee gold coin of victoria. Can you suggest me from where I can get these type of coins? from Coin dealers in delhi or from jewellers? Any jewwellers or there are few in Delhi who generally keep these kind of Lot?

Can I get these type of coins from banks? What price range would be suitable?

Regards,

Reeju Roy

Contact Email: [email protected]

June 6, 2012 at 5:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vivek
Limited Member

Hello Reeju

IN recent auction at Mumbai these coins were available for bid. You can check http://www.todyauction.com/Results.aspx for more details.

These coins are available at dealers also but need to confirm whether they are genuine or not. Jewelers' I am not sure. In my opinion Such high value coins should be purchased from reputed dealer or auction house.

Vivek

June 6, 2012 at 11:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vivek
Limited Member

Vishal at March 13, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Question for all the seniors on the forum. Would you all still feel that the fair prices of the regular Victorian rupee coins are still around 800-900 in 2012? Or there is some appreciation over 2011?

I am asking because wherever I asked, from jewellers to collects to individual sellers from villages, no one is really ready to accept anything below 1300-1500 rupees.

Moreover, people are actually paying close to 1700-1800 rupees for buying these coins on special occassions like Diwali or a wedding in the family, albeit in small numbers only.

Trying to see the true value of these coins as a learner. Thanks all in advance.

Hello Vishal

IN recently held exhibition at Pune I got Edward VII and George V coins at 1200 in XF to AUNC condition.

Yes I do agree with you if you go to Jewelers they usually quote high. Now a day's rates of BI coins have gone up. It's really difficult to get Edward and George V coins less than 1250. Need to find good dealer or jackpot.

Vivek

June 7, 2012 at 12:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vishal
Limited Member

Thanks for the response Vivek. I recently purchased Victoria silver rupee coins (yrs ranging from 1880-1901) in nice condition for Rs 1300. Not trying to sell or buy further, but I just wanted to use this forum to increase knowledge about these and ascertain a fair value. I am getting a feeling that the King coins (Edward and George) might actually be a couple of hundred rupees lesser than the Victorian coins.

I understand that this is not an exact science, and prices can vary from seller to seller and buyer to buyer.

Any other friends have any inputs?

June 7, 2012 at 1:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vivek
Limited Member

Hello Vishal

I do agree with you...You have got good price.Prices vary on condition of the coins also. If you want to buy queen coin in UNC condition (not rare date) will cost you between 2000-2500.

Also need to keep an eye on stuff dealers come up with.

Vivek

June 7, 2012 at 2:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

V D Somaiya
Limited Member

Hi all , my father has left me with his large collection of BI and other coins, I wish to sell it...

Any guidance as I am not expert on the subject.

[email protected]

--
June 22, 2012 at 1:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.