India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > FAQs > Difference between Proof and UNC

Lokesh
Limited Member

HI,

I am little confused and not aware of exact meaning of Proof and UNC sets, Can any one plz help me in more detail what is Proof and UNC sets

August 15, 2011 at 11:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

In short, Unc sets are a set of coins that are issued for normal circulation and proof coins are special shiny, high detail coins that are issued just for collectors.

When coins are minted for general public, not a lot of care is taken to make sure that all the details on the coin is clear or it looks very attractive. Proof coins are minted with special type of chemicals that give the coins a matte, shiny finish. Proof coins are also stuck twice on the same blank giving it more detail than a normal coin.

August 15, 2011 at 1:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lokesh
Limited Member

Thanks a lot for the useful info

August 15, 2011 at 1:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vivek
Limited Member

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PROOF AND UNCIRCULATED COINS

Proof coins are those coins which are very unique from the uncirculated or uncirculated coins in many ways. Proof coins are manufactured under a strict quality norm and under the supervision of the experts.

While minting these coins stringent norms of quality are practiced at every stage.

The uncirculated coins are not of best quality as proof coins. It has no design frosting but ground is mirror polished. The uncirculated coins do not bear Mint Mark (M) like proof coins.

Metal blanks are carefully selected for the proof coins (rejection rate is 70% to 75%). Those with scratches and other imperfection are cleared carefully to remove all the blemishes.

The dies for making proof coins also receive a special polish treatment called ‘Blasting’ resulting in a mirror like surface. Unlike ordinary coins produced by mechanical pressure at the rate of few hundred every minute, Proof coins are struck individually by hydraulic presses. Small details and delicate lines in the picture are brought out in clear cut relief by this method.

The proof coins are carefully handled and are never allowed to come in the contact with other coins, therefore they are struck in a dust free/ proof environment.

Since proof coins are struck and finished individually and require special care in their preparation, these coins are offered by the Mint at a premium price, which is much higher than the actual face value of the coins.

These coins are only issued by the Mint, which produces it. The coins are directly issued to the purchaser by the Mint unlike circulated coins, which are distributed by the Reserve Bank of India. The collectors mostly buy these coins as valued possession for their collections. These coins also have a special alphabetical code minted on these coins stating the Mint of their origin. All these factors make the coins quite exclusive and one of its kind and the coins for connoisseur.

Source: Mumbai mint or Kolkotta min i dont remember..i had saved this information.

August 16, 2011 at 1:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PR
Limited Member

thank you both broken compass and vivek for such enlightenment.

--

August 16, 2011 at 3:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

shrini
Limited Member
Really a useful information, thankx for u guys for sharing the info's:)
August 16, 2011 at 9:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

Here's an interesting video of how (proof) coins are made at the Canadian mint ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrtCcXXNcGA

August 16, 2011 at 12:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

rishabh sharma
Limited Member

thanx for such a useful information thanku.

August 17, 2011 at 9:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

प्रशांत जैन

@BC  : your articles are always nice..
@vivek : thanks for sharing the info.

--

My Blog - http://india-coin.blogspot.com/
◄↕→PJ←↕►

August 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

I don't collect proof coins even if they are offered to me for free because they are too shiny and appear unnatural for coins (just my opinion) :P

Here is a diappointing line that I found in a Indian numismatic book by a reputed author

'...as a general rule, a serious collector do collect proof sets and he may or may not collect the unc sets alongside'

Guess that makes me not a serious collector :( or a serious UNC collector :P

--
"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can
spend all the money in the world and still have some left over" 
August 17, 2011 at 3:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

I think the author was just stating his opinion. I think there are no bounds to what someone might collect. I know people who collect fake coins and they are darn good at it and I would consider that a very serious collector.

I was of the same opinion as you about proof coins, I wanted uncirculated circulating coins because they were real and meant to be used for every day use. Recently the bling of proof coins has gotten to me and I have been getting some proof coins too :P

August 17, 2011 at 6:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

Correct. Just being sarcastic. I get easily offended whenever someone says, "WHAT, you don't have proof coins in your collection?" and I'm like WTF, I'm the one who decides what my collection would be of and I hate proof coins...LOL

--
August 18, 2011 at 6:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

P.S. And I wasn't kidding when I said I don't want them even when they are offered to me for free. I was offered a bunch of proof Franklins by a close collector friend from the states but I turned down :D

--
August 18, 2011 at 6:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ram
Limited Member

Why even UNC cost is much higher than its market value..?

February 16, 2012 at 1:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

I don't understand your question. Are you asking why UNC coin set's nominal value is higher than the face value of the coins in the set?

--
February 17, 2012 at 3:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ram
Limited Member

@Rony, Yeah.

February 18, 2012 at 2:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Site Owner

That's because double coin UNC sets are sold by the mints at a nominal price of 3K Rupees upwards. In numismatics you can seldom buy circulation grade uncirculated coins at their denomination's worth unless you buy it from the source, which in our case is the RBI. The simple logic is that a one Rupee coin in banged up and scratched up condition also retains the same face value as a prestinely conserved same coin. That's why grades are the most important factor when valuing coins.

--
February 18, 2012 at 10:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.