Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > British India > Bengal Presidency 1/2 Anna

broken compass
Limited Member

September 13, 2011 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Administrator

Very nice BC. It's the first time I'm seeing this coin although I'm from Bengal :roll:

--

"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can spend all the money in the world and still have some left over"

September 14, 2011 at 2:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

Is KidRomeo your alter ego? :P

September 14, 2011 at 3:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Administrator

LOL....I won't be posting in the forums with my old profile as 'Administrator' looks much better and sounds less dictatorial than 'Site Owner' :lol::lol:

--

"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can spend all the money in the world and still have some left over"

September 14, 2011 at 4:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Harry
Limited Member
Nice coin - I've not seen it thanks for posting.
December 5, 2011 at 12:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

Came back a AU 58 BN. I thought there was atleast 5% mint red on it and should have come back a RB!!

December 5, 2011 at 1:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Harry
Limited Member

Is there any guidelies on how NGC or PCGS grades mint state coins? I would love to know, what exactly qualifies as RD (red), does it have to be 100% or 95% and on the flip side does a 5% red make it RB?   Whats the difference between MS 64 and MS65 what exactly are they looking for?  Do you know if they publish their grading standards.

If anyone knows please share it. Thanks!

December 5, 2011 at 9:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

As far as I know, there are no official published standards but I found this article very useful!! I think most of the coins that were grade complied to rules of MS state coins in this article.

http://www.pcgs.com/Articles/Detail/419

December 5, 2011 at 10:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Harry
Limited Member

Thanks for sharing this link, its useful. I thought that it would be a lot more defined but I guess they can't do that as each coin is different. Its so true that grading is clearly not a fact but an opinion, its largely subjective even with the professional graders but the price difference between MS62 and MS66 can be massive.

December 5, 2011 at 1:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

I used to think that too but then after sending my coins in for grading, I have begun to feel that all my coins almost always fell into the rules of that article. I sent a good number of coins for grading so far and I don't have major disagreements over grades I got back. I do have disagreements with TPGs calling my coin a RB when I am very sure it is a RD or a BN when I feel its a RB. I do agree than a lot can be subjective but I feel that it is less than 30% subjective. From my limited understanding, here are the two variables that determine grade and my experiences with them.

Strike/ Luster/ Eye appeal/ Toning - Subjective

For most grades in MS, a good strike/ eye appeal becomes a very important variable after MS 64 and it requires a lot of understanding of quality control at mints and in my opinion requires a sample space of a few thousand coins from different hoards/ time periods to understand. For US coins, because of the sheer volume of coins that have flowed through TPG's, this knowledge is readily available. They know it so well that they even go for granular sub attribution like VAMS. If you look at the number of coins graded on PCGS and NGC they run into the thousands for US coins. I think most TPG's dont know much about world coins particularly about Indian coins, so they are not be able to determine correctly if it is a good strike or if it has enough luster compared to other coins of the same kind.But this lack of knowledge causes +- 1-2 grades and makes them call a restrike a proof and a proof a restrike.

Marks - Very Predictive

This is 100% technical and very predictive in my opinion because they are clearly not made as a part of the minting process and they are easy to find out. As long as a coin doesnt have very bad bag marks on important devices most grades between 63/64/65 revolve around lesser and lesser bag marks as they get higher.

These are my personal experiences

MS 62 - bag marks on Vic's face but the rest of the coin is a MS 65, clear fields, RD coin!

MS 63 - a slight rim nick probably a part of the minting process. But rest of the coin is PERFECT.

MS 64 - PERFECT coin, like really perfect! Had a die crack from 5 o clock to 7 o clock.

December 5, 2011 at 1:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Harry
Limited Member

I've started a new topic on TPGs please see http://www.indiacoinnews.com/apps/forums/topics/show/6937355-third-party-coin-grading-tpg-

December 5, 2011 at 3:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.