India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Attribution Help > Pls help in identifying this coin.

Rups078
Limited Member

Pls help in identifying this coin.

[Edit: Formatting Corrected]

November 15, 2011 at 6:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Administrator

The pic is out of focus and hence the devices on coin are at least unintelligible to me but from the crude design I would guess it's an Indian fantasy token. Post clear pics of both the obverse and reverse sides if possible.

--

"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can spend all the money in the world and still have some left over"

November 15, 2011 at 2:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rups078
Limited Member

I got this coin from my Grand father. It is a silver coin.

Observe:

Reverse:

[Edit: Formatting Corrected]

November 16, 2011 at 1:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Administrator

I can now confirm that it's an Indian fantasy token and not a coin, also known as 'temple token'.

A similar contemporary design:

--

"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can spend all the money in the world and still have some left over"

November 16, 2011 at 5:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rups078
Limited Member

Thanks for the valuable info. Can you pls tell me what could be its market price? I got 1 Rs silver coin of 1947, do let me know the price of this coin also.

November 18, 2011 at 6:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Administrator

It should be worth it's silver content only. Check it from a goldsmith to know the purity and value.

The 1947 British Indian Rupee coin is made of cupro-nickel and not silver.

--

November 18, 2011 at 7:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rups078
Limited Member

Pls find photo of 1947 1Rs silver coin. Isit a fake coin?

November 19, 2011 at 3:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Administrator

The coin appears genuine. It's the cupro-nickel coin I was talking. The condition it's in, it won't be more than 50 bucks in worth.

--

November 19, 2011 at 6:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.