India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > FAQs > Third Party coin Grading (TPG)

Harry
Limited Member

I have started a new topic of Third Party coin Grading (TPG) of British India coins. This is from “broken compass”’s post of Forum Home > British India > Bengal Presidency 1/2 Anna (see http://www.indiacoinnews.com/apps/forums/topics/show/6018673-bengal-presidency-1-2-anna)

The topic of discussion is how does TPGs like NGC, PCGS and the likes grade British India coins. Specifically how do they differentiate between mint state grades? What makes a coin MS65 and not MS66 or MS64. What is the standard of assigning the color designation of copper coins (RD=red, RB=red & brown, BN=brown). For those of you who are not farmiliar with the US based mint state grades they range from MS60 - the lowest Unc grade to MS70 the highest. In general dealers don't use numeric grades for "raw" coins and I have added the numeric grade that I think they correspond to (I'm not a dealer):

Unc : MS60

lovely or sharp Unc: MS61

BU: MS62

Sharp or frosty BU: MS63 to MS64

GEM BU: MS65

Choice GEM BU: MS66 to MS70.

I for one did not even realize that if a coin is cleaned or even lightly cleaned, TPGs will not assign a numeric grade, like MS62, but rather use the term “DETAILS” with a comment like HARSHLY CLEANED, SURFACE HAIRLINES (at least that’s what NGC does). I think PCGS does not put a comment. I learnt it the hard way when I submitted a coin to NGC that I purchased as "Unc 1899 1/2 Rupee" (I assumed it was not cleaned). It came back as graded "UNC DETAILS - HARSHLY CLEANED". Ouch!

Broken compass, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience in this area. Again if you could re-iterate your findings here specifically for British India coins that would be helpful.

December 5, 2011 at 3:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.