India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Coin Chat > Difference between Pattern and Experimental coin

kidromeo
Administrator

I have always wondered if there is any difference between Pattern coins and Experimental coins. In numismatic dictionary both terms are used interchangeably whereas in Indian numismatics an Experimental coin has 'EXP' or 'EXPT' struck on it whereas Pattern coins don't have any mark on them to distinguish as pattern other than knowledge of collectors because of it's unique design. In my view Pattern coins are struck to see the design and strike features whereas Experimental coins are a way of testing metal composition characteristics and durability. Any takers?

--

"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can spend all the money in the world and still have some left over"

December 21, 2011 at 1:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

broken compass
Limited Member

My guess would be Experimental coins are stuck to test the die before the die is actually used to minting and a Pattern coin is something that they would mint before actually selecting a coin for mass production. But I think they can be interchangeable used because there is very little difference between the two. I guess with Indian numismatics the word "Expt" on a coin distinguishes a Pattern from Expt

December 22, 2011 at 2:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Administrator

Good point BC. Another thing I have noticed that all the Indian pattern strikes are before decimalization. I haven't seen any pattern strike of post-decimalization coinage without 'EXP' striking or horizontal parallel line defacing. Have you seen anything otherwise? I wonder if all modern patterns of India are actually experimental coins. Also do you know of any other country that defaces the pattern coins with 'EXP' or 'Test'?

--

"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can spend all the money in the world and still have some left over"

December 22, 2011 at 5:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Administrator

I have uploaded pics of experimental Indian coins here. If anyone wants to contribute copyright free images then please message me :)

--

December 22, 2011 at 11:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.