India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Coin Chat > KM Coin Reference

nishant gupta

Hello,

At many places while discussing about a particular coin or note, esp at auction hoouses, people use km.##, which to me seems like some nomenclature for mentioning the coin or else a number from some coin listing reference book. Can anyone please explain what does this km.## means and if its a number from some numismatic book listing all the coins and notes issued in india so far, then pls tell me its name. thanx a ton!

[Edit: Title Modified]
--

Nishant Gupta

April 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mahesh
Limited Member

Yeah.. The KM# refers to UNIQUE identification code in World Coins Catalogue. Being a global code/standard, it helps you understand which coin the other person is referring to and also get details about metal composition, years of mint, rarity, varieties etc.

April 13, 2012 at 6:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Administrator

The letters indicate from whom the original attribution of the coins came from. For example, KM is for Krause & Mishler. There are several other attributers whom you will come across as you dig deep into numismatic study like Y for Yeoman, C for Craig, FR for Freidberg, P for Pridmore, V for Valentine, K for Kann and Su for Hsu.

These attributor name abbreviations are attached with a number which is unique for a particular coin of a particular country. These reference numbers can be found listed in standard world coin catalogs.

--

"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can spend all the money in the world and still have some left over"

April 14, 2012 at 8:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

nishant gupta

thanks for the info. can you please suggest the most widely referred or helpful catelogue and which is the best place/website to buy it. thanks once again.

April 16, 2012 at 5:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cranko
Limited Member

best thing to do would be to buy a disk on ebay. 

--

Sanjay C. Gandhi

April 16, 2012 at 10:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

nishant gupta

thanks Sanjay for the reply . But by disk i assume you mean buying a cd rather than a hard copy. I'll be buying the cd only but want to know which one should i buy. 

April 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kidromeo
Administrator

Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins are the most popular catalogs for world coin collectors. Other catalogs are used for specialty studies or regional issues, for example, Yeoman's Red Book for US coins, Pridmore's Commonwealth catalog for British Indian coins, etc.

--

"Coin collecting is the only hobby in the world that you can spend all the money in the world and still have some left over"

April 21, 2012 at 7:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

nishant gupta

May 1, 2012 at 4:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.