India Coin News

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Coin Chat > Carrying coins through custom checks, is it safe?????

saurabh
Limited Member

Dear Knowledgeable readers,

I have a important question for you all.I buy copper/silver old coins from ebay US and UK websites for my personal collection.I found that it is real pain to wait for safe delivery of coins, if really lucky it arrives in 2 months to my India address and sometimes it never comes.

To overcome this i have asked my friends in US and UK for their permission if i can get the coins be shipped to their local address, they have agreed.

In last 3-4 months i have get shipped almost 20-25 coins to each one of them and the value in india rupees is around 20 thousand individually.

Will it be safe for them to carry these coins out of US/UK and into India.To repeat they will have 20-25 silver/copper coins of approximately toatl value around 20000/- rs accompanied by ebay bills??

Please help me in this matter.

Best Regards,

Saurabh

August 6, 2012 at 4:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aniruddha

DUTY FREE ALLOWANCES AND ENTITLEMENTS FOR INDIAN RESIDENTS AND FOREIGNERS RESIDING IN INDIA

A Resident means a person holding a valid passport issued under the Passports Act, 1967 and normally residing in India

I. For passengers coming from countries other than

(a) Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar, Hongkong or China.

(b) Pakistan by Land Route

Duty Free allowance for bonafide baggage consisting of

For passengers of age

10 years and above

below 10 years

(i)

Used personal effects (excluding jewellery) required for satisfying daily necessities of life

Free

Free

(ii)

Other articles carried in person or in accompanied baggage

(a) if Stay abroad for more than three days

(b) if Stay abroad upto three days

Valued upto Rs.25000/-

Valued upto Rs.12000/-

Valued upto Rs.6,000/-

Valued upto Rs.3000/-

Note:

1. The free allowance shall not be pooled with the free allowance of any other passenger.

2. The free allowance is not applicable to the following goods:

2.1. Fire arms.

2.2. Cartridges of fire arms exceeding 50.

2.3. Cigarettes exceeding 200 or cigars exceeding 50 or tobacco exceeding 250 gms.

2.4. Alcoholic liquor or wines in excess of 2 litres.

2.5. Gold or silver, in any form, other than ornaments.

3. One laptop computer (notebook computer) over and above the said free allowances mentioned above is also allowed duty free if imported by any passenger of the age of 18 years and above

4. The goods over and above the free allowances shall be chargeable to customs duty @ 35% + an education cess of 3% i.e. to say the effective rate is 36.05%.

As per clause 2.5 u may have to shell out some extra money.

August 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aniruddha

tax is around 6% of the silver value.

August 6, 2012 at 11:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

saurabh
Limited Member

Aniruddha thanks for your reply but still the process to carry approximately 20 coins into india is not very clear to me.Did anyone of you have any such experience of bringing coins from abroad,i mean is it really required to be declared etc supposing there are approx 10 copper and 10 silver coins all after the date of 1800 and accompanied by ebay bills.

August 7, 2012 at 1:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aniruddha

i suggest u declare it, as the custom duty on silver is nominal 6%( for electronic goods and other stuff its 35%).

August 7, 2012 at 2:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vishal
Limited Member

The value of duty free imports at this point is Rs 35,000 if you're coming from the US. The rest of the conditions are same as Aniruddha mentions above. Although, I am not sure about the conditions attached with importing the coins. Having the ebay invoices would always help if you're trying to bring them in, but then you never know the customs. They prey on the lack of knowledge from us, and often interpret the rules in their own ways.

If you go there often, its better to try bringing them in batches. There's certainly a restrictions in taking these items out of India, but you should check about the laws on bringing them in. Better to consult someone who knows that well.

August 7, 2012 at 2:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

saurabh
Limited Member

Yes even i wanted to consult someone who knows these nitty gritty of carrying coins through customs.Problem is even in worst case i do not want the coins to be Confiscated or stolen from check in baggage.

For each of the coin purchased through ebay there is lots of hardship associated, you bid,you track, you win some and lose some.Then you pay , then you track online and in my case i have to coordinate with my friend that he actually recieves it.

Worst of it all i am unable to see the coin for eternity,i mean until my friend arrives to india.And if i lose them before it reaches me it will be tough.

So requested the learned members of this coin loving community to help with their experience or suggestions.

Regards

August 9, 2012 at 2:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

DrPRBPrasad

In my opinion Dont show Ebay invoice to custom official.Your friend should tell that he is a numismatist and different coins are his personal collection.The custom can levy duty on the material value of the coin & not on ebay value.I dont think coins would be more than 25 in all.With all good wishes that you receive them.I purchased many coins / notes from ebay & the same were stolen in transit through speed post/ DTDC courier. The ebay did't compensate me .As a result I suffered great financial loss & agony and stopped purchasing through Ebay.I utilise ebay to know the approximate price of different items only.

August 9, 2012 at 11:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

saurabh
Limited Member

Dear Sir my experience is that buying and shipping within India on EBAY and using Speed post is almosty 100% secure, i have bought 100's of items through ebay in india and got them delivered through speed post.

The problem is when buying from international locations,that is nightmare, i have a real bad experience, you will recieve the packet or not can be determined by toss of coin.That is the reason i thought to ask my friend to collect it for me in UK and then carry them along.But even then i now understand there is hardship involved!!

August 13, 2012 at 2:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

karthick
Limited Member

saurabh at August 6, 2012 at 4:43 AM

Dear Knowledgeable readers,

I have a important question for you all.I buy copper/silver old coins from ebay US and UK websites for my personal collection.I found that it is real pain to wait for safe delivery of coins, if really lucky it arrives in 2 months to my India address and sometimes it never comes.

To overcome this i have asked my friends in US and UK for their permission if i can get the coins be shipped to their local address, they have agreed.

In last 3-4 months i have get shipped almost 20-25 coins to each one of them and the value in india rupees is around 20 thousand individually.

Will it be safe for them to carry these coins out of US/UK and into India.To repeat they will have 20-25 silver/copper coins of approximately toatl value around 20000/- rs accompanied by ebay bills??

Please help me in this matter.

Best Regards,

Saurabh

Saurabh,

did you get the coins without any trouble. i am getting few coins from uk (whitman folders). let meknow if you had any trouble with indian customs.

Karhick C

January 14, 2013 at 1:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.