coin1:

coin2:

August 8, 2012 at 1:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Navonil Mukherjee

size , metal??? weight?

August 8, 2012 at 2:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aniruddha

Hello Navonil,

both coins look like they are made of some kind of alloy like brass(but they are not made of copper for sure), the first coin weighs around 25-35 gms is of size of Big 5 ruppee Indira Gandhi coin, the second coin is very tiny,smaller than 25 paise and weighs around 5 gms. 

ps:the picture size is small,right click on the image & select open in new tab/window to get a bigger and clear picture.

August 9, 2012 at 12:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Navonil Mukherjee

ok..2nd one no idea...

1st one following i can say with my very little knowladge..which i think you already know....

1. the face greek or roman style...

2. not sophisticated enough for greek or roman..

my guess its some offshoot civilizations of greek or roman...

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp

if you have enough time..search the above link...but don't put much trust on my verdict....i am nowhere near to a expart... :(

August 9, 2012 at 5:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aniruddha

Thanks Navonil, About the 2nd coin i feel it belongs to vijayanagar empire, see the obverse side of coin, it  has a Dagger, Dagger is one of the royal symbols of Vijayanagr empire.

ps: i dont have any references of 15th century coins, if anyone has kindly checkout these two coins for me, i have gone through Krause after 16th century.

August 10, 2012 at 1:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Navonil Mukherjee

I did a search at vijaynagar coin cateloge.. www.vijayanagaracoins.com/

but found none.....

August 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aniruddha

Thanks navonil, ive sent the pics to the author of the site and requested his help, still the Dagger symbol strongly points towards vijayanagr empire, i dont know if anyother kingdom used the same symbol.

August 14, 2012 at 12:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aniruddha

:mad: The first coin mite be a fake one, checked out all indo greek, scanthian, roman, no matches, as per opinion of one of the authors of site on ancient coins it mite be a fake one.

August 16, 2012 at 12:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.