Security Printing and Minting Corporation of India Limited (SPMCIL) was formed after corporatisation of nine units including four mints, four presses and one paper mill which were earlier functioning under the Ministry of Finance. The Company was incorporated on 13.01.2006 under the Companies Act, 1956 with its headquarters at 16th Floor, Jawahar Vyapar Bhawan, Janpath, New Delhi.
India Government Mint, Mumbai (a Unit of Security Printing & Minting Corporation of India Ltd.) is a premier institution renowned for highest quality of manufacturing medals of different alloys.
The Mumbai Mint was established in 1829 A.D. Initially it was controlled by His Excellency, the Governor of Bombay Presidency. It was then transferred to Government of India by Finance Department Resolution No. 247, Dated: 18.5.1876.
The first Calcutta Mint was established in 1759-60 whose site is not known. At that time Calcutta Mint was producing coins with mint-name Murshidabad. In 1790, the second Calcutta Mint established at the site of Gillet Ship building Establishment which was taken over by the Stamp and Stationary Committee in 1833. All the coins issued from this mint are in the name of Murshidabad Mint and all bearing same year AH 1204. On March' 1824 the foundation of 3rd Calcutta Mint was laid on the Strand Road and was opened for production from 1st August' 1829.
In the late 1930's it was decided to build a new Mint at Alipore and the foundation work had been completed by early 1942. But due to 2nd World War the construction was interrupted. Later on when the Free India was a child of 5 years, Alipore Mint was opened by the Hon'ble Finance Minister of Government of India Shree C.D. Deshmukh on the 19th March, 1952.
India Government Mint, Hyderabad is one of the four Mints to discharge the sovereign function of Government of India in manufacturing of coins and supply to Reserve Bank of India for the purpose of circulation. It is presently situated at IDA Phase-II, Cherlapally, 20 km from Secunderabad railway station, and 48 km from the Hyderabad airport.
Consequent on the Federal Financial Integration in 1950, the erstwhile Nizam's Mint at Hyderabad was taken over by the Government of India. The history of the Nizam's Mint can be traced back to 1803, when the official Mint was established under Nawab Sikinder Jah, the third Nizam. Later on the Mint was constructed on 13th July 1903 at Saifabad and the present Mint at Cherlapally was started on 20th, August 1997
The Government approved in 1984 the setting up of a New Mint at Noida with a capacity of 2000 million pieces of coins per annum to meet the gap in demand and supply. Production of coins initially from the stage of coin blanks in Phase I of the Project implementation and addition of blanking facility in Phase II, were envisaged. The implementation of the Project in two phases was formulated as the setting up of the New Mint was a project of urgency to enable the Government to exercise its sovereign function of minting and making available to the citizen small coins in sufficient number and value essential for their daily life as expeditiously as possible. The project was sanctioned by the Government in January, 1986 at an estimated cost of Rs.30 Crores.
Currency Note Press, Nasik Road was established in the year 1928 with the objective of printing Currency Notes of denominations as per the requirements and indents placed by Reserve Bank of India from time to time.
Bank Note Press, Dewas, an industrial unit of Government of India, ministry of finance, Department of Economic Affairs, was conceived in the year 1969 and estiblished in 1974. It is situated near the famous Chamundeshwari Hillock in the small town of Dewas, in the Malwa region of Madhya Pradesh, spreading over an area of 185 Hectares.
The Reserve Bank of India was established on April 1, 1935 to regulate the issue of Bank Notes and keeping of reserves with a view to securing monetary stability in India and generally to operate the currency and credit system of the country to its advantage.
NumisMaster opens Krause Publication's massive coin and paper money database to a worldwide online audience and allows hobbyists to select and sort the information to fit their individual collecting interests. This database comprises the content for every book Krause Publications has published in the Standard Catalog line of price guides for more than 50 years.
The Worldwide Bi-Metallic Collectors Club (WBCC) is the Internet gathering place for collectors interested in Bi-Metallic and Tri-metallic Coins, Medals, Tokens, Encased Coins, Ecus and Euros. Founded September 14th, 1996, the WBCC was the very first Internet Coin Club.
The International Bank Note Society (IBNS) was founded in 1961. It operates as a non-profit educational organization and in furtherance of such purpose, its objectives are to promote, stimulate, and advance the study and knowledge of worldwide banknotes and paper currencies.
Coin Wiki is an encyclopaedia of British coins from the beginning of the Re-coinage of 1816 to the present day. It is also a provider of information about history related to numismatics such as biographies of artists and monarchs and information about British mints and the manufacture of coins.